Sunday, April 29

Getting Reacquainted

Well with a 4 month gap on using the Pfaff we have drifted apart a bit. She is wanting to have tension issues today and I told her I'd have no part of that. So she is off and has been warned when I come back over there in a few minutes she had better be playing well. I did give her a good bobbin area cleaning, which always surprises me how much lint is in there...just shocking. 
I did make myself a new oversized mug rug yesterday for my computer desk. It has to be big enough for a coffee cup and a snack :). I just grabbed some fabric I had cut a while back (I don't remember for what now) and started playing. I mainly wanted to quilt so the piecing was just tossed together in my standard hap hazard fashion. 

 I wanted to share this super simple and very yummy dish. If you like fresh corn you might want to try this. You start off by putting a blog of butter in a skillet. Blob is southern for about 1.5 tablespoons. 

 Then cut the corn off the cob - here I used about 5 ears. I remember my grandmother used to scrape the corn to get every little bit off and there would be corn bits everywhere including her glasses. I'm not this dedicated but just cut as deep as possible. 

Then I cut up 2 bell peppers and stir it all together. I cooked this till it just started to get tender and cut off the flame. Don't want to loose the crisp snap of the veggies. The sweet of the corn and peppers was a surprise together and we just loved them. 


Got a new book this week from one of my inspirations Mary Hettmansperger, Her fiber and jewelry designs have really changed the way I work with metal. My first look at her work was on a DVD I purchased from Lark Books for embellishing fiber art.

Here are 2 new postcards I've started today. I lay out the components I want to use on top of the fabric to see how well they play together till I have a happy group. Then the quilting begins. The one on the right was influenced by my new book. 


 I have started a new hand sewing project and I'm determined to get this try past pillow size. This is the 3rd time I've tried to make a quilt using this method and the other 2 did end up being pillows. So I thought this time I'd just keep them in this old sewing box and work on it when the mood strikes and let it sit and wait when I'm not. It will become a lap quilt. I also decided not to put the little bits in the traditional Grandmother's flower garden formation and rather go for a more contemporary mix of oops again a hap hazard mix. 

2 comments:

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

I adore your mug rug. How do you come up with such unusual designs.

Now I want corn and bell peppers...smile. No...I'm not ever cooking again. Maybe Big Mick will make it for me.

Gene Black said...

Haphazard piecing sometimes comes out with the best designs....and you proved it again.