Sunday, April 15

An Ah Ha Moment

I have been quilting my small quilts myself since my first quilt. I really didn't have a clue what I was doing but as per my normal I just pushed forward with little fear and at the time little knowledge. I had gotten pretty good at the free motion stippling and even was brave enough to quilt 2 lap quilts with the pebbles pattern but mostly I just stuck to meandering. I really wanted to know the hidden secrets of a planned pattern in my quilting. It just seemed a huge mystery to me. This past Friday thou all secrets were revealed. I took my second free motion class and it just clicked. When I made a row of leaves that were actually in a row I was so excited. Then our wonderful teacher showed us how to make feathers. These did seem way beyond me but I do think now with some practice I can get pretty good at feathers. It's just all in knowing the path to take. So I can't wait to practice more and hopefully on my next small quilt I'll use some of these patterns. I was telling my friend Stefanie I took the class with that this could change the way I piece my tops for now I'll want borders to put these patterns into. 

This one did take a bit more concentration but I think
it could be great once I get even spacing/shapes under control. 


Friday was an exciting day in many ways. We found a new "used" truck for Hubby
which he is thrilled with and I also moved into the modern ages and got our
first flat screen tv. Yes I am a bit behind the times on that one. But I do tend to 
use something till it dies of old age and the huge TV in the living room is still going strong. 
The one upstairs thou became so outdated you couldn't find things that would 
even plug into it anymore (like the cable box!) so it was time for it to go. 
So this afternoon I'll cut out more Grandmother's Flower Garden bits and get ready for a 
night in front of the new TV and hand sewing - oh joy!


5 comments:

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Excellent Job! I wished it would click with me. I need to really do some serious practicing.

Barb said...

Wonderful!!!!! Isn't it great!!

Gene Black said...

I need that particular click in FMQ too. I think I just get bored doing the same shape repeatedly. But I have never made a decent feather and I have seen it done a couple of ways.

B J Elder said...

Wow! You are doing great. I need to get back into more FMQ'ing. It does take regular practice, that's for sure.
I just awarded you the Liebster Award. You can find out about it on my blog. :D

Cornwoman said...

Your FMQ was great, including your feathers! Check out SewCalGal's 2012 FMQ Challenge. We've been getting great tutorials each month and it's really been helpful in improving my FMQ.

Congrats on the Liebster Award...and the new TV!