Saturday, May 16

Rainy Days Are Good For Sewing

Today was a good day for sewing. It has rained all day, it's been doing a lot of that lately. We took the babies (our Yorkies) in for their summer cuts this morning and they look so cute. After we got back from a few errands I finished one project I was working on and started another and even got it finished. I got the Rami Kim book Folded Fabric Elegance at the quilt show in April and have been looking over it a good bit and finally got around to trying several of the techniques in there. For them to look so complicated they were very easy. Her directions are great and it made for quick learning. I'm a huge fan of her work. I first saw her on Simply Quilts a good while back and was very impressed. I really miss Simply Quilts. I used to watch it every morning. I wish I'd recorded them. 
One of the techniques I did from Kim's book was machine smocking. You have to be a lot more exact than I normally am with Kim's techniques but the finished look is well worth the measuring and marking. I'm practicing these techniques on small projects and would love to make a quilt using some of her styles as the blocks. I've been playing around with upholstery fabrics in some of my wall hangings and the fabric folding works just as well with thin upholstery as with cottons. I did some experimenting on an ATC.
I have bought fabric to make my new kitchen curtains, which is just going to be a topper and I'm thinking some folding will end up on my windows. 

No comments: